Dan Hamilton's shared items

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Proof Microsoft is Crazy about the iPhone

Lets see here now, xbox is hemorrhaging money and the zune is a joke so take this comment by Microsoft exec Chris Sorenson for what its worth:

It's a great music phone, and I'm sure it will be fantastic and have an interesting user interface," Microsoft's Asia-Pacific head of smartphone strategy Chris Sorenson told press during a recent visit to Australia.

"However, it's a closed device that you cannot install applications on, and there's no support for Office documents. If you're an enterprise and want to roll out line of business applications, it's just not an option. Even using it as a heavy messaging device will be a challenge."

So, support for office documents is the end all be all of a cell phone. Now, I a few years ago, I was the typical "road warier" and near abused my cell phone and PDA. And yes, I did have lots of word docs on my PDA. But let's be frank here...reading docs on a cell phone or PDA screen just sucks.

Perhaps Apple will come up with a better solution for reading documents on the iPhone . But maybe the better question is, why would you want to? Remember that the iPhone is also an iPod . I get along just fine with my documents copied to my iPod available for me where ever I have access to a PC or Mac. And, I am really beginning to like google's docs and spreadsheets alot.

0 comments: