Dan Hamilton's shared items

Friday, October 26, 2007

Five Minute Leopard Install Review

Still in the process of getting everything up and running since I did an erase and install, but here are my first impressions: 

1. Snappy. 

2. Make sure you disable Airport before you boot the Leopard install disk. With Airport on, it did not see my laptop's hard disk. 

3. File icons are flat, not sure if I like that, especially since its harder to distinguish between them. 

4. What happened to Airport Disc Utility? 

5. No Time Machine over Airport? I actually saw several websites note this. Hopefully Apple will fix this with an update down the line. Kind of takes the ooomph out of Airport Discs when your primary machine is a laptop (I mean who wants to be tethered to a USB disc all the time?). 

6. Started install at 7 p.m., got the welcome video a little over 1 hr later (note that I let the install verify the install disk which took about 30 minutes). 

7. Still getting things back into shape. I tried to cut corners by not doing a full hard disk back up (just applications and the user folder since I keep my documents, movies and iTunes and iPhoto libraries on an Airport Disc).
Probably could have saved time by doing an archive and install, but I wanted a fresh start. This messed me up with my calendars and mail accounts. Got the calendars working pretty easily. Still working on the mailboxes and hoping that when I sync iPhone my contacts will fill in. Also looks like some of my applications need to have the serial numbers put back in. 

8. Some old applications are showing the generic OS X icon in the finder. I'm hoping that disc utility will fix that. 

9. Dock on the right will show flat (which is good) and in 3D when it is on the bottom. 

10. Like the new Leopard voice.

Well, in the time it took me to write this, the last of my files have copied onto my laptop. Looks like I have a bit of clean-up and then I'll need to run disk utility to repair permissions and I should be good to go.

Welcome to Leopard everyone!

0 comments: